Originally formed in 1993 by a group of friends with a passion for singing, we have steadily grown in size and stature to become one of the most successful all female acapella choruses in the UK. With members from all walks of life, from all over the north of England, ranging from the age of 10 to 60+, we work hard to achieve very high standards while having a great deal of fun along the way enjoying the great friendships that we share.
We are an award-winning choir; taking gold, silver or bronze in every national competition we have entered. We pride ourselves in the quality of our singing as well as our performance skills, telling the story of the song and where the song calls for it, the addition of slick choreographed moves.
As members of the Ladies Association of British Barbershop Singers (LABBS), we have competed very successfully in UK and European barbershop competitions over many years and are proud to have been the National Ladies UK Champions seven times, with our most recent win in 2014.
You can view our winning performance from LABBS 2014 here.
Our other recent successes and highlights include:
- Winning Silver medals at the European Barbershop Competition in Holland in 2009.
- Winning Gold at the International Chorus Competition at the Spanish Association of Barbershop Singers (SABS) April 2015. Read about our trip to Spain here.
- Taking first place in the barbershop category at the North Wales Choral Festival in November 2015 and November 2016.
- Winning in the Barbershop category at the Llangollen Eisteddfod in July 2014 and coming second in the Open category in July 2016.
- Winning a distinction and first place at the Pontefract Music Festival in April 2014
- Winning the 2013 Majestic Open Choir Festival
- Being featured on BBC Radio Two’s 2012 Christmas Day programme “Sing in Heavenly Peace; The true story of Silent Night”
- Performing for Her Majesty the Queen as part of her Jubilee celebrations.
We are led by our Musical Director Jo Braham who joined us in January 2011. She brought with her a wealth of experience, boundless energy, enthusiasm as well as a real passion for close harmony barbershop which she delivers with sparkling good humour.
We sing songs by a wide range of artists from Elbow to Barbra Streisand, the Beatles and many others, as well as singing well known show songs and traditional barbershop songs arranged for today’s audiences with a modern twist and sometimes humour.
We find ourselves singing to a wide range of audiences in a variety of settings, anything from the London Palladium to Golden Square shopping centre in Warrington! The types of events we sing at include competitions, private bookings, corporate, fundraising events and we have even taken to the wards of Warrington hospital to sing to some of the patients. Wherever we sing and whoever we are singing to we aim to delight our audiences and let our music and performance take them on a special journey.